Monday, November 8, 2010

Costa Rica In Heat

When I blog, I attempt to capture moments worth sharing with the world. We all have enough things in our lives to keep us busy rather than wasting time reading how beautiful the beach is every, single, bloody day. I promise I won't do that to you, but I will bring beach worthy news when it is merited. However, today, I bring to your viewing pleasure a treat of information. This may or may not have anything to do with Costa Rica. I believe the way of life here plays a factor, but I just can't help myself...I must share.

This is PG-17? I don't know what kids can and can't watch/listen to/read these days. It's a brave new world. What I am about to say is probably just PG. Those damn youngin's and their ability to learn about everything on the Internet!

My last blog, I wrote about the awesome power of three. How things can come in three. Remember? I know you read the last blog.

Nature has a way of being, how do we say, open with its ways right in front of your very own eyes. As I was resting under the patio of the school that overlooks the beach 100 yards away on a crisp, breezy, sunny day, I was greeted by what appeared to be a large insect landing on my knee. As I was about to kindly steer the delicate insect away, I realized, my knee had become a mating ground of two insects that appeared to be just one large one. This phenomenon, good sir/madame, shall not be disturbed. However, I was well within my rights to share my inclusion in procreation to everyone around me.

Ooohs and Aaahs around the table. Costa Rican life in the making for all of us to observe and appreciate.

National Geographic has nothing on the moment, we witnessed. Well, ok, really, they do and more. That's beside the point.

The point being!

(I don't care if that is not grammatically correct; it has flare)

I digress.

The point being!

Little did I know, I had one of three in my trifecta. One of three similar incidents to happen within a short period of time. This means I would bear witness to two more occasions of nature, essentially, doing its thing. And, I would witness them in no time at all.

One brilliant observation I had this morning is that I have a greater amount of time to take in my surroundings while I bike at the whopping speed of 12 miles/hour. I can have a quick conversation with a fellow student that is walking. I can tell the cow in the street to move its stinky ass about five times before I actually pass it. I can also witness the consummation of two neighborhood dogs in the parking lot of a hotel/restaurant.

Please note, once again, my ability now to observe moments in detail due to my mode of transportation.

You'll be interested to know that the female dog appeared to be pre-occupied with other important things, such as, did I remember to pee on the same bush this morning? Was that manure that I rolled in last night? Yes, you guessed correctly, the male dog had his tongue hanging out with what I could have observed to be a smile. He appeared to be advanced in the technique of doggy style, because he maneuvered between one front leg and then another to keep his balance. I would fathom a thought this is due to the multiple opportunities that exist in Costa Rica for stray dog lovin'.

If you ever have used the expression, "It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion." I highly recommend you change up the scenario. It adds comical relief to an otherwise awkward moment. Give it some international flare while you are at it.

"It's like Costa Rican dogs humping in slow motion."

I am two for three now. My momentum for the trifecta is almost complete. Maybe I'll get really lucky and see two monos putting all their might into it. If you ever heard a monkey make noise, just because it can, then you need to imagine what kind of noise it makes when it's getting lucky. I can only imagine as well, because my third observation was the same damn female dog with a different male dog on my way home!

Don't call me a liar; I swear I am not making this up.

This second male dog blew away the competition (no pun intended)! As I was passing by, not only was he on one front leg, but he was hopping on one back leg! These Costa Rican mutts have amazing skill. I had to stop and applaud the effort.

As I came home from dinner tonight, I knew exactly what I had to bring to your digital doorstep for some light, romantic reading pleasure. In transit, I was distracted by looking up and seeing the Milky Way for the first time in a very long time. Because you tolerated my Costa Rican dog mating story, I'll see what I can do about getting a decent picture of the stars for you!

Hasta Luego.

1 comment: