Saturday, November 6, 2010

Samara in Sight

Sunday, October 31, 2010

The bus journey was the beginning to understanding what kind of people were going to Samara. And considering the intercultura language school is the only one in town, I pointed out the other students very quickly. The bus ride reminded me of any other bus ride like in the states (pre-Megabus/bolt/wifi) minus the major difference that people were sitting and standing in the isle, because the bus stopped on the side of roads and towns to pick up people.

Imagine getting a description of where the bus stop is for a very small town in route to Samara. A fellow tico would say, "You know the gas station on the corner of Juan's farm and next to Gabriela's church? Just walk across the street, between the deserted cars and through the grassy ditch. Now stand on or near the large dirt/mud inlet from the main road. The bus will know to stop, if he sees you there."

I was about two hours into the trip and finally broke down and started using my iPod to watch a movie. Normally, while in transportation in the US, I don't think twice about it. However, it became the center of attention for the people around me. They all knew what it was, but it's not something they all have. So, we all watched some movies and Madmen to keep us entertained for the time being.

The ride was educational. Once again, I observed the flow of life in Costa Rica is lightly distrubed with such things as perfect landscaping, manufactured fencing, and that sense of territory. Live stock roam the grassy fields on both sides of the fence that is more like a guide of where the property line may be as opposed to a DMZ that clearly shows what is yours is yours and what is mine is mine. It was tranquil. Even the dogs roam freely without feeling like property with boundaries. Because of this preceived freedom, the Costa Rican dogs, albeit pretty dirty, are the happiest pets in the world.

My bus ride was perfect in the sense it prepared me to settle in for a Costa Rican lifestyle. At least, that's what I thought I was capable of as soon as I stepped off the bus.

I was anxious to jump off the bus and meet the woman who has been handling my rental unit agreement. I was finally off the bus with bags in hand and looking for her. I asked one woman standing around and she gave me a blank stare. Ok, clearly not her. However, everyone else was already afoot or gone. My next adventure begins! My ride wasn't there. I decided to hoof it down to the school. All students who had families to live with were directed to go to the school. I figured I could use the phone and hopefully find my way to my new home for six months.

I arrived at the school after telling the other students I just met that I was fine. Clearly, I was not fine. The receptionist helped me out and called my rental lady, but no answer. I was now out of luck, because I had no idea where my place was. The only thing I could think of was to jump online and see if she had a different phone number.

As soon as I started lifting my bags, Melissa walked in and asked, if any of us poor souls was Kevin. I was so excited at that very moment. Hearing that one question meant that I was so close to finishing my weekend of traveling. I was that much closer from the trials and tribulations of getting here. I was that much closer to my own bed.

Melissa, or Meli, was awesome and very helpful showing me around as we drove to my new digs. We pulled up to my unit and I was anxious to see if it lived up to the pictures. Fortunately for me, the pictures didn't do it justice. The place is amazing and I thank each day that I have a place like this.

The chapter on making it to Samara was finally closed. Walking into the unit carried a lot of purpose and meaning beyond the travels entailed to get here. It was a major acknowledgement that I made it.

Learning to speak spanish is a whole new bag, but the biggest effort of planning, preparing, and executing is now behind me.

Time to adjust to the Costa Rica way of life.

Pura Vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment