Sunday, November 7, 2010

Mochila, Paraguas, y Bicicleta

November 1, 2010 to November 4, 2010

A triangle is the strongest structure. Come on, we all remember geometery!  The fact that all three sides are of equal importance. We understand the importance of three in other ways as well, like everything happens in threes or winning a trifecta in horse racing brings you tremendous odds in your favor.

My triangle, or trifecta if you will, came in the form of three items that were critical to my comfort mentally and physically while spending time here.

Mochila = backpack
Paraguas = umbrella
Bicicleta = bike

The walk from my place to school, town, and just about anything of significance shows its disadvantages pretty quickly when it's pouring out and you have to walk, without an umbrella, and a plastic bag to hold your school literature. Oh, DC! How you have completely stripped me of my ability to prepare for anything that doesn't involve a car and work clothes. One would think that living in beachwear is the easiest thing in the world. I am finding a way to prove that theory wrong.

I quickly learned after just one day of living without these items, that I simply would not enjoy my time here as much as if I had them. I am not asking for a lot, right? Plus, this is just me adjusting to my environment.

Living in a small beach town in Costa Rica makes you realize something very quickly. Not everything is accessible immediately, or even accessible at all. Come to find out, Samara does not have a store that sells normal backpacks. Anywhere in this town. I did find a pink tote in a surf shop that said, Costa Rica, across it in really, really big letters. It was a tempting purchase, which shows how desparate I was to get a backpack.

However to my luck I got a ride into Nicoya on the day that bridges and roads were knocked out by the rain. I was with determined friends that matched my need to make it to Nicoya, fortunately. Our drive into Nicoya was an aventura in its own right. However, I will say one thing about the drive: San Isidro labrador quita el agua y pon el sol!  It's a saying to have the rain carried away and to bring the sun out.

I think it is what got us to Nicoya and back safely.

Fortunately, for me, I had another adversary who helped me get a bike and cheap. Mi dueno, Peter, hooked me up with a bicycle shop in town that sold me a bike for $80 used! It's not perfect, but it will definitely do for now. What I'd like to point out is that deals can easily be made. So, I may cruise in to talk to the guy that works on the bikes and ask him to trade in the one I got, once he has another used one that actually fits me. haha, yes, that is right. I am slightly taller than most of the locals. So the rusted bike seat doesn't exactly adjust up. Ah, the beach life.

Well, I have finally made it a full week! My trifecta of required creature comforts are now in my possession and I am actually fully ready to really focus on why I am here, to learn spanish.

For those of you patient enough to read through all of my blogs thus far, here is a picture that embodies the curtailment of the important parts of my experience in Samara. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment