Saturday, November 6, 2010

En Route

Saturday, October 30, 2010

I folded and packed a third small duffle bag with all of my carry-on items. I had to do it. I am taking way too much stuff, but I know I will need it all eventually. I think I will need it all eventually. I hope I will need it all eventually. We'll see.

I got to the airport early with time to spare and I would find out quick enough that I needed that extra time. As I began to check in, the attendant asked,"When is your return flight?" I told her that I did not have a return flight yet. This was just a one-way and I would purchase my return ticket later. I was informed that customs would not allow me to fly unless I had proof of my return. They requested to see my visa. Luck would have it that Costa Rica doesn't require visas for Americans. I have no proof of my return and no clearance to leave the airport.

As my remaining minutes tick away for being cleared to leave, my only viable option was to purchase a return ticket. So, friends, family, and co-workers, I'll be back in the office on May 9.

The feeling that my trip would be postponed, even just for a couple of days, was not a feeling I wanted anymore. I waited months for this moment; I wasn't about to wait another day.

With that first major drama behind me, I was now trying to mentally prepare for the reality of the situation. I am no longer in planning phase. I am executing the beginning of the most emotionally taxing part of the trip...I am officially en route to Costa Rica.

No comments:

Post a Comment