Saturday, November 6, 2010

School is in Session

Monday, November 1, 2010

Do you remember what you used to do to make sure you were ready for the first day of school? For me, I used to make sure that I had my backpack ready to go with pencils, notepad, and lunch. Then I would check it again. I woke up for the first day of class and I realized something. I didn't have a notebook. Ok, not much of a problem. I didn't have pencils. That's not too bad, because I have pens. I don't have my He-Man lunchbox. It's not an issue, because I am not 22 years old anymore. I don't have a backpack...

Who comes to school without a backpack?

Slackers.

I completely forgot the quintessensical possession that is pretty critical to a student's life. To boot, it was raining. Which also made me realize that I don't have an umbrella. 0 for 2 on my first day of school. I found a moment when the rain broke and it became a light rain, giving me enough time to barely make it to class. I was the only one there with nothing. No backpack, pencils, notebooks, etc. I could only imagine how much of a slacker I looked like on the first day to the teacher.

However, this is Costa Rica. So, just chill out and go with the flow.

The school is very nice and professional. Beyond the lectures, they organize additional classes that are free after school. There is dancing, yoga, tours of the town, cooking, movies, and art classes spread out through the week. All classes are after 5pm, for the one reason that lectures are either in the morning or the afternoon to allow students time to enjoy extra curricular activities.

I think my experience is going to be a great one. It may be raining today, but there is a lot of potential for having a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment